Sunday, July 18, 2010

Behind the Scenes: Readers (of Flank Hawk)

One thing that has really helped me improve my writing and led to publishing successes is having great readers--folks who will take the time to read my writing and provide solid input.
.
From experience I can say that not everyone who shows interest and says they'd like to read and provide input on an unpublished work--sometimes they even ask to be a reader--actually follows through. There are a number of reasons they don't, but I firmly believe it's foolish to hold it against them. Oddly or, more accurately, sadly I've encountered some writers who do.
.
I think it's also important to try to match a reader's interests with what you've written. This is somewhat easy for me as, at least with my short fiction, I write in a variety of genres. Beyond that, it's important to have a variety of readers with varying experiences, both life and reading. To be sure they have to be individuals who won't hesitate to tell you what isn't working, in addition to what is. Praise is great and motivating, but constructive criticism makes an even bigger difference.
.
I do consider what each reader has to say. Often the readers provide written comments and feedback, but whenever possible I also like to sit down and talk with the reader. And while I do consider each reader's input, I don't always agree and their suggestions are not implemented. That's okay as the readers know my stand on this. However, if several come up with the same concern--it's definitely time to revisit that aspect of the novel or short story.
.
Today I'm going to highlight on those readers who provided input for Flank Hawk before I began submitting it. Of those below, all have provided input for other works, published and as of yet unpublished.
.
I count on each reader for their unique view and opinion, each having strengths in different aspects of a story's contents. All are well-read and provide in depth analysis in a number of areas, and I'm only highlighting a narrow scope of what they provide as readers. In any case, they deserve some recognition for their efforts in helping Flank Hawk make it into print.
In alphabetical order:



Dora Archer (above): Has a good eye for characters and characterization. Some of this comes, I believe, from being an author herself. Equilibrium is her debut novel. It also comes from her travels and experience.




Sandy Daily (above): Has a good sense for atmosphere, tone, and character consistency. She reminds me that sometimes my story might be getting too dark or grim. Sandy has read more books than can count, and that background is something I can count on when discussing my writing efforts.



Joanne Detter (above): Has a good eye for plot consistency, wording, and action sequences. She also gives some input on grammar ;) Joanne is one that I enjoy discussing authors and novels we've both read, analyzing their strengths and weaknesses, which I am able to incorporate into my writing efforts.



Stephen Hines (above): A talented YA author who is an expert at suggesting what is lacking in plot, structure, dialogue, and where I fall short with description. And yes, he is a major Steelers fan, but I don't hold that against him.




Jeff Koleno (above): Has a good sense for internal logic of how 'things' work, including world and plot consistency. In addition, Jeff answers a lot of my scientific questions, especially in matters of physics and mathematics.


Julie Roeth (above): Has an eye for character interactions, symbols, foreshadowing and overall story arc. Julie is well-read and has a wide variety of knowledge and experiences that makes her a font of insight and advice.


Bill Weldy (above): Has an eye for what works in an action scene along with overall pace and story direction. Bill has written a few short novels himself. They're pretty darn good and I hope he finishes his revisions and submits them some day soon.
.

8 comments:

  1. You are blessed to have such a wonderful support group of readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does help your readers that you write interesting stuff. Your stories are logical, not silly. They are well crafted and thought out. You use language I can understand, and I don't have to ask my kid what a phrase means.
    You have written in a couple of genres that I've not read in, but do now.
    I believe your readers get a lot more from reading your writing, than just a well written, interesting story.(Try saying that a couple of times fast.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, J. Kaye, I am very lucky for such a solid support group of readers.

    Sandy, thank you for the compliments. I do try to write interesting pieces. Seems that editors don't always agree ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've got some really awesome readers! Lucky you! And congrats on your book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the congrats on Flank Hawk, Ali! And yes, finding good readers can be a real challenge!

    Glad you stopped by and posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so important to have good readers. If you're looking for more for your next novel (will there be another Flank Hawk novel? I hope!), I'd love to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am working on the next First Civilization's Legacy novel, working title is Blood Sword. I've added you to my list of potential Blood Sword readers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! My husband was just asking if you were going to write another.

    ReplyDelete