Saturday, September 25, 2010

Can you identify this critter?


To the right and below is a picture of a friendly critter that, in part, plays a part in Flank Hawk? (Hint: It's closely linked to one of the main characters).

My first encounter with one of these little mammals was along the crick that ran behind my grandparent's house when I was a kid--maybe 5 or 6 years of age. I occasionally spotted turtles there too! :)



Test your North American fauna knowledge.
Do you know what the pictured animal is?

8 comments:

  1. ummmm... muskrat? This is a Kiwi answering so don't laugh too hard ;p

    http://damselinadirtydress.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a proud Oregonian (originally), I can say with certainty that this is a beaver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, it's been nearly 20 years. I could be mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a beaver to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do agree with Kathleen, it is a muskrat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The answer is: Muskrat. It's easy to mistake it as a beaver (both aquatic rodents).

    Main visual clue: the laterally compressed tail.

    ReplyDelete